I finally made a frittata that doesn’t taste like cardboard! It’s true what my mom always tells me, it takes time and love to make good food. This turkey sausage veggie frittata is inspired by my mom’s various creative frittatas that never disappoint!
2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Red Bell Peppers
Olive Oil Cooking Spray
1 Yellow Onion Diced
4 Garlic Cloves Diced
1 Large Portobello Mushroom Cap Chopped
3 Sweet Italian Turkey Sausages Chopped
4 Whole Eggs and 4 Egg Whites
1/4 Cup of Reduced Fat Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese
1/4 Tsp. Salt
1/4 Tsp. Pepper
2 Tbsp. of Skim Milk
- Preheat Oven to 375 degrees
- Spray cooking pan with olive oil cooking spray and drizzle pan 2 tbsp. olive oil.
- Sauté onions and peppers in a tbsp. of olive oil for 7-10 minutes.
- Add garlic and mushrooms and sauté another 5-7 minutes.
- Sprinkle veggies with salt and pepper.
- Remove veggies, add one tbsp. of olive oil to pan and add sausages. Brown on the outside and finish cooking in the oven for at least 20 minutes. Check inside with fork to test.
- Place veggies back in pan and spread evenly over surface of pan.
- Once sausages are cooked, chop up and add to veggie mixture, also spreading evenly.
- Whisk together 4 whole eggs and 4 egg whites along with parmesan cheese and sharp cheddar cheese. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture over veggies and go along edges of pan with spatula to send eggs a little bit beneath veggies as well.
- Cover pan with foil and cook on low setting for about 7-10 minutes or until frittata looks set in center.
- Place entire pan uncovered in oven and set oven to broil for 3-5 minutes. Test center with a toothpick and ouila-frittata for any meal of the day!